Helen and Susan first met while doing their Masters in Counselling. They embarked together on their journey to become psychologists, helping and supporting each other along the way. Ever since, they have been presenters, business partners, had a private practice together and most importantly they remain friends. Susan and Helen are maritimers who moved west at a young age to become teachers . They hold many of the same values in life dear to their heart. They look forward to sharing, connecting , collaborating and co-presenting together.
Helen MacKinnon R. Psych
Helen has journeyed for more than 30 years in the field of education and school counselling as well as having worked as a psychologist in private practice. This journey has led Helen to share her passion for working with youth and the youth in all of us. Whether hosting national conferences, presenting to educators , students, supervising provisional psychologists or working on a crisis team, Helen knows that purpose and passion matter.
Helen enjoys, yoga, skiing, reading ,cooking, and travel. When she is not busy with these activities, she likes to spend time with friends and family. Married for 37 years to her husband Colin, and being the mother to three adult children, as well as three precious grandchildren, keep this grammie happy and healthy.
Susan Spellman Cann R. Psych
Susan Spellman Cann is positive and passionate when it comes to working with youth. She is a Registered Psychologist as well as a semi- retired School Counsellor with over 39 years in education. She has worked in K-12 schools, universities as well as private practice. Susan has presented to Educators and School Counsellors online and off. Having received the U of C Counselling in Supervision in Counselling Psychology Award, she believes we need to help lift up and support those around us making our community and world a better place. She believes in paying it forward that is why she continues to supervise new Provisional Psychologists as well as School Counsellors. Susan loves tech and all the places and connections it that it can take us.
In 2017 her blog was recognized as one of the top 10 counselling blogs. Determined to make a difference Susan believes in giving back to her community so continues to volunteer online and off. You can learn more about this lacrosse playing, pickle ball, artist , retired educator by clicking here. Married for over 32 years Susan is the mother of two fabulous adult children.
PRESENTATIONS by Susan Spellman Cann
- 2019 Becoming Mindful In A World Full Of Distractions CCSD School Counsellors
- Podcast 5 minutes with the Counsellor
- 2017 Presentation for CCSD Counsellors Click here.
- 2017 Haiku Deck Utilizing Technology in the Classroom PD day Ascension Elementary Junior High
- Podcast with School Links Path to Higher Education Post Secondary Education
- 2017 July Love Leadership and Lacrosse Opening keynote for Nationals female box Lacrosse Nova Scotia
- January 2017 United Way Providing Hope : Making a Difference for Students ( All in For Youth ) Closing keynote Click here.
- November 2016 Canmore Council for School Counsellors Love Leadership and School Counselling
- Ignite Presentation Ignite Your Passion for Discovery presentation Love Leadership and Self- directed Learning Discovery Education presentation
- EdcampYYC May 2016 Love Learning and Leadership
- October 2016 Bishop McNally High School Mental Health in High School
- September 2016 Online presentation GH West Virginia University For Future School Counsellors Using Tech to Make School Counselling Better Presentation for University of West Virginia Counselling students
- U Lead 2016 Co- presenter U Lead Presentation High School Redesign Check out my blogpost – High School Redesign
- October 2015 OCLMOOC Co- conspirator oclmooc.wordpress.com
- January 2015 Ever Active School Conference Shaping The Future Presented with Laureen Lailey Alberta Ed on Mental Health in High School
- (Community in Action for Children and Youth) CIACY for Youth Development Through Recreation Services Canadian Symposium Presented at a number of schools
- ATA Conference Counsellor Talk
- 2001 Developmental Assets Presenter for various agencies in Calgary: March 20th, St. Helena , May 9th, Fort Calgary
- Safe and Caring Schools Conference Co-Presenter with students
- Futures Alcohol and Drug Groups for High School Students presented to HS Counsellors
- Wellness Workshops for Calgary Catholic Teachers and HPEC
- Children of Alcoholics: Helping Them Cope ATA Special Education Council
- Summer Institute for Experienced and New Principals UPEI, Communicating with students and teachers, School Improvement Plans